Houston, TX Truck Accident Lawyer
Occasionally, people who are licensed drivers are involved in truck accidents caused by circumstances beyond their control. It may be that a truck driver makes a mistake, a vehicle malfunctions or changing weather conditions make an accident unavoidable. Sometimes, drivers experience medical emergencies that render them unable to safely operate a motor vehicle. You may wonder about your liability if you inadvertently cause a crash with a truck because of unexpected physical impairment. Before discussing that, it is important to be reminded of what to do if you are involved in any accident.
What Should You Do if There Is an Accident Between a Vehicle and a Large Truck?
It is ideal to keep a list of proper procedures to follow in the event of an accident with a truck.
This list assumes that you are physically able to complete the steps involved:
- Remain at the scene. If heavy traffic is present, you will want to get out of the drive lane, but do not travel farther than necessary for safety.
- Contact first responders by calling 911. Relay necessary details of the accident. If you are not sure of injuries, err on the side of saying there might be injuries.
- Check with others involved to see if there are injuries. If necessary, apprise 911.
- Secure contact information from other parties and from witnesses.
- Write down or make a recording of pertinent information.
- Make certain to inform your insurance company.
What If You Experienced a Medical Problem That Resulted in an Accident with a Truck?
The answer to this question is not as clear-cut as you might assume. On the one hand, if you are driving and through no fault of your own you lose the physical ability to control your vehicle, then you cannot be considered “negligent.” Thus, you and your insurance company would not be liable for damages caused by the crash. On the other hand, if you had forewarned of the medical problem and did nothing to prevent a possible accident, you might be found negligent and therefore responsible.
What Insight and Assistance Can an Attorney Offer?
Upon listening to your recounting of an incident and reading the police report, an experienced truck accident lawyer in Houston, TX will have a good idea of the degree of responsibility you may bear in an accident resulting from a medical condition. An attorney from John K. Zaid & Associates will be familiar with the laws and typical judicial rulings in the area where the accident occurred, as ordinances and judgments vary greatly. Consulting an attorney will give you insight into your liabilities and defenses.