Truck Accident Lawyer Houston, TX
Truck Accident Lawyer Houston, TX
Many roads in the United States are busy with tractor-trailer trucks: big, commercial, trucks that are often on long hauls across the country. Truck drivers cover long distances, traveling many miles and working for long hours. While these trucks are arguably necessary to sustain our way of life and economy, truck driver inattentiveness or drowsiness can be a serious danger to everyone else on the road. They are responsible for quickly arriving at destinations so that they can deliver or pick up their cargo on time. Because they always operate on a tight schedule, the nature of truck drivers’ work makes them much more prone to tiredness, fatigue, and sleepiness. This puts other drivers at risk. If you were injured in this way in a road accident, contact a truck accident lawyer in Houston, TX from John K. Zaid & Associates.
Truck accidents are not like typical motor vehicle accidents in two major ways:
- The amount of damage caused during a truck accident is usually significantly greater than the damage caused during a typical motor vehicle accident. Due to the sheer size of tractor trailer trucks, accidents involving these vehicles can cause devastating damage to passenger vehicles and their riders. If their cargo spills out on the roads, it can strike other vehicles nearby or create multiple hazards and disrupt traffic, which can lead to a chain of accidents. A truck accident lawyer in Houston, TX from John K. Zaid & Associates may be able to get you the compensation you deserve for your injuries from the responsible party.
- Very often, the truck involved in a crash is owned by a business that has lawyers on retainer. They have numerous resources at their disposal to protect the truck driver and try to limit the settlements paid to victims who were injured during the crash. They specialize in protecting company truck driver’s from inconvenient lawsuits brought on by accident victims. This makes them much more difficult and tricky to take on, compared to a case where that does not involve company-owned trucks. A truck accident lawyer in Houston, TX from John K. Zaid & Associates can be a formidable legal opponent of their attorneys.
- Learn more about Common Factors in Truck Accident Cases.
If you were injured in a motor vehicle accident involving a tractor-trailer or other big truck, consider calling an experienced and competent truck accident lawyer in Houston, TX from John K. Zaid & Associates. Such cases are much more difficult than those that involve a smaller motor vehicle, so you need to work with an attorney who is specially equipped to handle them. They have to be knowledgeable about the tactics that corporate defense attorneys use so that they can counter with a solid strategy. Our attorneys are familiar with the devastation these accidents can cause, and are also familiar with the sophisticated practice of corporate defense attorneys who may represent the driver and the company for whom he or she works. There is limited room for error whenever you are going up against a powerful company with a dedicated legal team, so we know how important it is to go above and beyond so that you have the strongest argument possible.
Types of Common Truck Accidents
While trucking is essential in this day and age, especially to the economy and the millions of people that need products such as food, it’s also a dangerous industry to be in. In 2018 it is estimated that there were 11.49 billion tons shipped via truck, with 7.8 million people working in the industry—about 3.5 million of those people were drivers. With so many truck drivers on the road, the likelihood of a commercial truck accident also increases significantly. Should an accident occur, you need to find a dependable and skilled lawyer who can aggressively fight to protect your rights as a victim.
Understanding some of the most common accidents may help you avoid them—and if not avoid them, at least you’ll have a better understanding of what you’ve experienced. Knowing the best defensive driving strategies will help you prevent the most destructive damage in the event of a truck accident. While you can’t control everyone around you, you do have control over how you process the environment and conditions around you, as well as how you react to them.
Head on and rear-end collisions are first. This is when a large truck collides with other vehicles head-on, while rear-end accidents mean that a truck has driven over the back of another vehicle. Because trucks are so much larger than most cars on the roads, it’s easier to find yourself in a rear-end collision with a truck that did not consider its speed and the space it had to brake in.
Jackknife accidents happen when a truck brakes too suddenly. This causes their trailer to swing out to a 90-degree angle, and this truck may overturn or roll-over, which can further cause more damage to cars around it, as well as block traffic for a time. Other cars may not be able to react in time because the truck becomes a sudden hazard, causing them to brake and cause rear-end accidents.
Blind spot accidents occur because trucks are so large and have a lot of blind spots. So the best thing to know about blind spots on trucks is, if you cannot see their mirrors, then they cannot see you. Every vehicle has blind spots, but large trucks have larger blind spots. Every time you are driving near a truck, make note of whether their mirrors are visible so that you can adjust the space between your vehicle and the truck accordingly. This will prevent accidents from occurring.
Roll-over accidents, mentioned above in jackknifing accidents, are their own accidents. Roll-overs happen when a truck jackknifes, the driver has lost control of the truck or the trailer, and sometimes if cargo comes lose but the truck does not roll-over it will still be classified as a roll-over due to the damage that cargo can cause to the roadway and other auto vehicles on it.
Now, one of the deadliest types of accidents you may experience when involved with a big truck is underride accidents. If a truck stops too quickly, approaching vehicles may get stuck underneath the trailer on the back—oftentimes, the smaller vehicle is torn apart; the roof is ripped off. Underride accidents can be avoided and prevented with the use of side guards on big trucks, but side guards are not 100% effective, so drive safely when around larger trucks. Keeping enough distance between your vehicle and the truck in front of you can reduce the chances of an underride accident.
Tire blowouts are a common issue across all vehicle types. Large commercial trucks have a lot of weight, and a lot of wear and tear on their tires, making them more susceptible to tire blowouts. This is even more dangerous if it happens on a crowded roadway due to the size of the vehicle and the potential for the vehicle to tip over. Always be extra vigilant and cautious when you are driving near trucks to avoid an accident.
Unfortunately, accidents can still happen regardless of how careful you are. If you are involved in a truck accident and need a truck accident lawyer in Houston, TX, reach out to a lawyer who has experience and is passionate about the work they’re doing.
What should you do directly following an accident?
As a driver or a passenger in a car, getting into a truck accident can be one of the worst situations you ever have to face. When your accident involves a large commercial truck, you may feel lucky to actually walk away from the accident. However, just because you made it out of the accident does not mean you are uninjured. Immediately seek medical attention after any kind of motor vehicle accident, because you may have injuries that you may not be aware of due to shock. This step is also important because refusing to obtain medical help may deter insurance companies from taking your claim seriously. It is important to remember a few steps after your truck accident because they could make a difference in terms of how you heal—both physically and emotionally—and what happens with the claim you make. When you sustain an injury from a commercial truck accident, you may have the opportunity to get compensation to help with your healing and medical bills. However, you should not wait too long following an accident because it can affect the strength of your case. For more information on how an attorney from John K. Zaid & Associates can help you with your injury claim after a truck accident, contact our firm now.
- Get the Medical Attention You Need. Unfortunately, this is not always apparent right after your accident. In fact, all too often people walk away from an accident—even a truck accident—believing they were lucky not to sustain an injury from it. The next day or next week, however, pain begins to crop up. Even if you do not have any apparent injuries, you should always seek medical attention after a truck accident. A doctor’s evaluation is a valuable piece of evidence which can greatly support your case.
- Get to Safety. This is incredibly important. Due to the large size of commercial trucks, your car may be in a ditch, smashed into the side of a barrier, or even in the middle of a highway. Once you have done a quick check to see how your injuries are, you should try to get your car to a safe place as soon as possible so you do not risk getting injured further and do not put other people on the road at risk.
- Remain at the Scene of the Accident. Unless you need to go to the hospital, the best thing you can do is remain at the scene. In fact, you could be facing legal ramifications for leaving the scene of the accident before police arrive. Sometimes police are not able to arrive because they are responding to other calls, but you should at least talk to other first responders after an accident. After you have talked with the authorities and any first responders, then you can safely leave the scene.
- Gather Information. One of the most important steps after a truck accident is gathering information that you can use later. When the police arrive they will likely file an accident report, but gathering your own information is also valuable. First, you and the truck driver should exchange information: get their name, contact information, license number, their company’s information, and their insurance carrier.
- Get Any Witness Statements. Depending on where you are, you may have pedestrian, bicycle, and other motor vehicle witnesses. When this is the case, use this to your advantage and gather as much information from them as possible and either write it down or ask if you can record their statements. You should also get their contact information so your attorney can follow up with them later.
Contact a Truck Accident Lawyer Houston, TX Drivers Call First
A truck accident lawyer in Houston, TX from our firm can determine if you have a valid personal injury claim after a consultation. During this free, no obligation discussion, you will have the opportunity to present the facts and circumstances of your case as you understand them. You will also discuss the injury you sustained, including how much you have incurred in medical bills and what you expect to pay in the future for treatment. You will also discuss damage to your vehicle and any money that you paid to use a rental car or alternate transportation while your vehicle was being repaired or replaced. After your initial consultation, our attorneys at John K. Zaid & Associates will let you know what they believe they can do for you.
Our attorneys are professional, knowledgeable, and skilled at helping victims receive a fair settlement for their losses. Call a truck accident lawyer in Houston, TX from John K. Zaid & Associates today to request a free consultation about your case.
Who’s at Fault in a Truck Accident?
Truck accidents are not like other vehicle accidents. They often involve a great deal of damage to the vehicles involved and also severe injuries to the people involved. But the big question is a truck accident lawyer Houston, TX victims trust will ask is who’s to blame?
The answer is a resounding, it depends.
Truck drivers are highly regulated. This is done to not only protect the truck driver but also all of the other drivers on the road. Some common violations of truck driving rules include:
- Driving more consecutive hours than allowed
- Overloading the vehicle
- Driving beyond the speed limit allowed for the load size
- Failing to adequately maintain the truck and trailer
When a truck driver is involved in an accident, they usually aren’t the only ones involved. Many truck drivers operate as independent contractors which means they would be solely liable for any of the issues listed above. But many trucking companies incorrectly classify their drivers as independent contractors in the hopes of limiting the liability of the company should the driver ever get into an accident.
This is where the skill and experience of a Houston, TX truck accident lawyer from John K. Zaid & Associates come into play. We’ve seen this trick before and we know how to catch it.
The trucking company is responsible for adhering to the same rules above just like the driver. When the company fails to do so, they too can and should be held liable for the truck accident. In addition to that, a company could be held liable for negligent hiring practices. If the truck driver involved in the accident failed a background check or drug screen and was still hired and allowed to drive, the company would be held liable for their negligent actions.
There’s a third and often forgotten company to place blame in a truck accident: the truck or trailer manufacturer. The brakes, lights, horns, or other safety equipment could have been defective as a result of the negligence of the manufacturer of the truck or trailer.
All of this combined is why you need to hire a trusted truck accident lawyer. You owe it to yourself to make sure your representation knows the complexities involved with truck accidents and can work to protect your rights. Without a skilled Houston truck accident lawyer at your side, you could miss out on the compensation you need to make a full and complete recovery.
John K. Zaid & Associates has the experience to make your case. When we meet with you, we will give you a full case evaluation to help you determine what lies ahead. We’ve been down this road before and we know how to work with the insurance companies, the expert witnesses, and the court system to ensure you get everything you need to get better.
We want to take the legal burden off your shoulders so you can focus on your recovery. John K. Zaid & Associates has built a reputation for successfully representing truck accident victims. We look forward to showing you why that reputation is deserved. Contact us today to schedule your free no obligation consultation with the experienced truck accident lawyers of John K. Zaid & Associates.
Wrongful Death in Trucking Accidents
Commercial truck accidents can be very dangerous and, in certain situations, the consequences can be life-altering. Not only may the injuries sustained be substantial, but the loss of a life could happen. During tragic events such as this, having a helping hand by your side that understands the legal system can be beneficial during a time of grieving. At John K. Zaid & Associates, we believe you should be focusing on your family instead of worrying about truck company investigators, insurance companies, medical bills, and more.
The Help of a Compassionate Truck Accident Lawyer
Each truck accident lawyer from our firm is dedicated to helping victims’ families in the aftermath of fatal commercial truck accidents. Trucking companies typically have teams of lawyers on their side that will fight against claims brought against their company. John K. Zaid & Associates stands to defend your rights and the rights of your deceased loved one.
We fully understand that there is no sum of money that can make up for the loss of a family member. However, it is unjust for you to suffer financially because of the negligence of another individual. Your truck accident lawyer in Houston, TX will help you receive compensation for:
- Loss of future financial contributions
- Loss of life
- Loss of enjoyment
- Loss of companionship
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Medical bills
- Emotional and grief damage
We promise to be there every step of the way and handle all of the legal aspects so that you can take the time honoring the memory of your loved one.
Handling the Insurance Companies
After an accident, the insurance companies of the at-fault party will try to offer you a settlement amount. Typically, this sum is much lower than what your claim is truly worth. Having an experienced truck accident lawyer on your side can help you determine what a fair settlement would be. In addition, negotiating with the insurance companies can be a tedious process requiring thorough understanding of the laws associated with trucking companies.
Creating a Case
At John K. Zaid & Associates, we have several different resources we can utilize to help create a strong case. The sooner we are able to collect evidence and begin forming a case, the better chances you will have of getting a higher compensation that you deserve. Some pieces of evidence that you will want to try and keep may include:
- Police reports
- Medical bills
- Witness statements
- Expenses related to the funeral
Sharing as much information as possible with your Houston, TX lawyer can certainly help when creating your case and trying to prove who is at fault.
Getting the Right Help
At John K. Zaid & Associates, we are dedicated to helping the families that have lost a loved one due to a truck driver or trucking companies negligence. Filing a wrongful death claim can be a scary thought, however, having skilled lawyers on your side can help during this difficult time. To discuss your situation in more detail, contact a truck accident lawyer Houston, TX families recommend for a free and confidential consultation.