Semi Truck Accident Lawyer Houston TX
A Houston, Texas semi truck accident lawyer understands the overwhelming physical and financial impact truck accidents have on victims and their families. The fact that large trucks can weigh more than 25,000 pounds raises the risk that anyone who is involved in one of these crashes often suffers catastrophic injuries or death.
According to national statistics, the number of people killed in tractor-trailer accidents last year increased by almost 10 percent, despite the fact that the overall percentage of victims killed in traffic accidents declined.
There are almost 5,000 victims killed every year in large truck crashes. Approximately 1,300 of those victims are the truck drivers and the rest of the victims are occupants in other vehicles. Almost half of the truck drivers killed were not wearing seat belts. Safety experts are puzzled by the increase, especially since there have been multiple advances in technological innovations aimed at reducing crashes. Newer model trucks have rear-view cameras, automatic emergency braking, electronic logging systems, and lane departure warning. Many older models have been modified with many of these safety features, as well.
The government has also implemented stringent guidelines on the number of hours a truck driver can be behind the wheel per day and per week, as well as rest requirements. Yet, the numbers still continue to rise. So why the increase? A Houston TX semi truck accident lawyer from n has found the following are some of the most common factors of truck crashes.
Alcohol and Drugs
One of the most troubling factors in truck accidents is the pressure that truck drivers feel to deliver cargo on time, often under near-impossible demands from the trucking company they work for. Add to that fact is that many drivers suffer from health conditions caused by lack of exercise and poor diets, due to the number of hours they spend on the road. There is also the fatigue factor. This combination often leads truck drivers to use alcohol, cocaine, marijuana, and methamphetamines while they are working.
In fact, one study found that just under 15 percent of American truck drivers had tested positive for alcohol in their system. This was the highest rate of all the countries worldwide whose truck drivers were included in the test.
Other Factors in Truck Crashes
Multiple studies have found the following factors to be the most common in causing truck accidents:
- Brake failure
- Distracted driving
- Excessive speed
- Inexperience with certain maneuvers
- Loss of control due to steering malfunction
- Loss of control due to a tire blowout
- Misjudging the distance needed to break
- Moving into the lane of another vehicle
- Poor road conditions
- Poor visibility
- Shifting of cargo not properly secured
- Under the influence of alcohol or drugs
Damages in Truck Accidents
The injuries that victims suffer from truck accidents are often catastrophic, leaving permanent disabilities and forever changing the quality of life of the victim. A semi-truck accident lawyer in Houston TX from our firm can evaluate a victim’s case and determine what damages they may be entitled to. Some of the damages a victim can recover includes:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Past and future income loss
- Decreased earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Permanent disability
- Permanent scarring or disfigurement
- Cost of vocational rehabilitation
- Spousal claim for loss of consortium
If the victim does not survive their injuries, a truck accident lawyer Houston, TX provides can file a wrongful death claim on the victim’s family’s behalf. Damages can include:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Loss of the victim’s love, care, companionship, comfort, guidance, and counsel
- Medical expenses for life-saving treatment
- Pain and suffering of the victim before they died
- Punitive damages for gross negligence or conduct that is malicious, reckless, wanton, or willful
- Value of income the victim could reasonably have been expected to earn in their lifetime
Let a Houston TX Semi Truck Accident Lawyer Help
If you or a loved one has been a victim of a truck accident, contact a semi truck accident lawyer Houston TX clients recommend from John K. Zaid & Associates to ensure you get the financial compensation you deserve for the injuries you have suffered.