Who is the best auto accident lawyer in Houston TX?
Auto Accident Lawyer Houston, TX
If you have been the victim of a car accident, you may be unsure of the proper legal measures to take against the person responsible. Depending on the severity of your injuries, recovering from an accident can be a long, drawn-out process. Who is the best auto accident lawyer in Houston, TX? Consider calling John K. Zaid & Associates. We can review your case and help determine the proper course of action. Call us to request a free meeting with one of our attorneys.
Steps You Should Take After an Accident
A car accident and its resulting injuries can be a traumatic experience that no one should have to live through. Regardless of the type and severity of injury you sustained, you are likely to find yourself in some state of shock. This can make it difficult to make good decisions, which in turn can have long term negative repercussions. An auto accident lawyer in Houston, TX might suggest that you should consider taking the following measures immediately after the accident, though not necessarily in this order:
- Following an accident, you should go to a safe space if you are able to do so without further putting yourself or others in danger.
- Do not leave the scene of the accident.
- Get the contact information of the person who hit you, even if you do not believe you were injured and did not suffer damage to your vehicle. This will be important in the event that you experience pain later on and you are diagnosed with a serious injury.
- Take pictures of the accident scene. If you are unable to do so, have someone else do it for you.
- Call the police and get a copy of the report.
- Take down the names of any witnesses.
- Write down your account of what happened.
If you sustained injuries that are more severe, taking the above steps may be impossible for you to do on your own. For such situations, you may have a delayed response time when it comes to gathering the necessary information. Learn more about what are the Most Serious Injuries After a Car Crash? Who is the best auto accident lawyer in Houston, TX? You may benefit from having a consultation with John K. Zaid & Associates, especially if your injuries are substantial. The following additional actions may be necessary after the accident:
- Gather all medical information that is relevant to your accident. You will need to prove that your injuries were related to the accident. Be sure that you have copies of medical treatment records and costs.
- If the insurance company of the at-fault party offers you a settlement, consider working with an auto accident lawyer in Houston, TX from John K. Zaid & Associates. We can help ensure that you are not taken advantage of or accept an offer that is not in your best interest.
- Take pictures of the injuries you sustained.
- Make sure that you notify your insurance company of the accident and provide them with any details they require.
Covering Medical Costs in Car Accident Cases
In a motor vehicle accident case, coverage of your medical bills depends on where your accident took place (i.e. a “no fault” state or not), as an auto accident lawyer Houston, TX relies on can explain. No fault insurance or Personal Injury Protection (PIP) means the insurance company will pay some or all of your medical bills, regardless of who is at fault. In some “no fault” states, there is a limit to how much you car insurance company will pay. This limit differs from state to state, but is generally $10,000 or less.
After your medical bills exceed this $10,000 limit, however, you are responsible for paying for them. If you have health insurance, Medicare, or a state run health insurance through Medicaid, those entities will pay your medical bills. If you do not have health insurance, Medicare, or Medicaid, then you are responsible for working out payment arrangements with your health care providers.
If you get into a car accident in a state that does not offer no fault or PIP insurance, generally you are responsible for paying your medical bills, as an auto accident lawyer in Houston, TX can attest. However, some drivers in these states have medical payment insurance coverage (also known as “med pay”). “Med pay” coverage will pay the medical bills of drivers or passengers involved in a car accident with the insured, up to the insured’s “med pay” policy limits, which are generally less than $10,000. After your bills exceed the “med pay” policy limits, you will be responsible for paying them. “Med pay” coverage is not always required, so, if neither you, nor the person at fault, have “med pay” coverage, you are responsible for paying the bills.
In the event of an accident that results in personal injury or monetary losses, it is helpful to hire a personal injury/car accident attorney. These attorneys can make the process very simple for you. An accident attorney –especially a personal injury attorney- can help you go up against big auto insurance companies and their lawyers. Your Houston auto accident lawyer already knows the personal injury laws and procedural rules and can effectively handle all the legwork for you. He or she will act as your advocate throughout the entire case.
Since an insurance company’s lawyers have the knowledge to reduce compensation and even deny the claim altogether, hiring an accident attorney is the best option for people who:
- Have suffered severe injuries.
- Are faced with expensive medical bills.
- Have experienced a significant loss of wages due to their injuries.
You should seek a professional if any of the following apply to you:
- Severe injuries
- Generally, the severity is measured by the type of injury/injuries you’ve sustained, the length of time it takes for you to recover, and the cost of medical bills you’ve incurred
- Long-term or permanently disabling injuries
- Proving long-term and permanently disabling injuries can be tricky business, and your personal injury attorney probably will consult with each medical professional you’ve seen. He or she even might request the presence of your medical professionals during any legal proceedings.
- Disputed liability
- The company states that the policyholder is not at fault (or is at least claiming you don’t have enough proof of fault) and, therefore, the insurance company is not responsible for paying for your damages. An accident attorney will help you provide this proof and show that the other party was indeed at fault.
- Refusal to pay
- An insurance company outright won’t make a fair settlement offer—or any offer at all.
Contact an auto accident lawyer in Houston, TX to ensure proper representation and compensation!
Compensation When Car Accident Injuries Limit Your Ability to Work
A Houston, TX auto accident lawyer understands that when you are injured in a car accident, your first thoughts naturally go to the health and safety of yourself and any passengers – especially any children present in the vehicle. If physically able to safely exit the vehicle, a secondary consideration is exchanging insurance information with the other driver(s) and communicating with law enforcement and emergency medical technicians on the scene.
While it may not become apparent in the trauma of the moment, the most lasting and consequential damage suffered may be your very ability to work. This is a devastating outcome for people who depend on their physical wellbeing to earn a living. When a car accident changes your position in the world from one of strength to one of vulnerability in a split second, know that the law allows personal injury victims to seek compensation for not just medical bills, but also lost income due to missed work. This is when you will likely ask yourself, “Who is the best auto accident lawyer in Houston, TX?”
Types of Compensation Available to Car Accident Personal Injury Victims
While it is true that the world is becoming more automated (e.g. drones, self-driving cars, travel booking), many occupations still require traditional manual labor. Construction, athletics, landscaping, retail, and the service industries all require able-bodied individuals of good health and with ample energy to perform physical tasks.
When a car accident causes injuries, whether temporary or permanent, to a manual laborer, he or she may no longer able to move or lift objects. This outcome is especially detrimental to non-salaried individuals – workers who earn income dollar-by-dollar, hour-by-hour.
Fortunately, Texas law allows for car accident injury victims to seek compensation for lost income due to missed work from the individual and/or business responsible for the injury-causing accident. This compensation is in addition to the monetary damages awarded to cover the cost of medical bills, pain and suffering, and consequences flowing from any short- or long-term disabilities resulting from the accident. A Houston, TX auto accident lawyer can evaluate your case and determine what the monetary and nonmonetary losses you suffered are.
Regaining One’s Financial Footing Following a Car Accident
Most car accidents are the result of negligence, rather than intentionally wrongful conduct. Negligence is the breach of a duty owed that causes damages. When a breach of the duty of safe driving by an individual (e.g. drunk driving) or an employee working for a business (e.g. driving at an excessive speed) causes you to become injured in a car accident, rely on an car accident attorney to fight for lost income due to missed work and all other compensation you are entitled to.
Have You Been Injured? Call a Houston Auto Accident Lawyer for Help
If you have been injured in a car accident, you are likely trying to deal with the pain and recovery from those injuries. You may also be overwhelmed with the financial stress of being unable to work. If you are asking yourself who is the best auto accident lawyer in Houston, TX is, contact John K. Zaid & Associates to help you get the financial compensation you deserve for your injuries. If you have suffered loss of income and benefits while you recover, we will work diligently to recover the amount of wages you lost.