Auto Accident Lawyer Houston TX
Who is the best auto accident lawyer in Houston TX?
Auto Accident Lawyer Houston, TXIf you have been the victim of a car accident, you may be unsure of the proper legal measures to take against the person responsible. What actions should you take? You might have a lot of thoughts running through your head. It can be difficult to make sense of an accident scene. Depending on the severity of your injuries, recovering from an accident can be a long, drawn-out process. Who is the best auto accident lawyer in Houston, TX? Consider calling John K. Zaid & Associates. We can review your case and help determine the proper course of action. Call us to request a free meeting with one of our attorneys.
Steps You Should Take After an AccidentA car accident and its resulting injuries can be a traumatic experience that no one should have to live through.Regardless of the type and severity of injury you sustained, you are likely to find yourself in some state of shock. This can make it difficult to make good decisions, which in turn can have long term negative repercussions. Your mental health may be affected in addition to your physical health. Dealing with the sudden and traumatizing aftermath of an accident can take a devastating toll on victims, but thankfully there is legal assistance that you can rely on throughout your ordeal. By working with a top auto accident lawyer, you can receive both the support you need and essential legal guidance to make your experience much less stressful to deal with. An auto accident lawyer in Houston, TX might suggest that you should consider taking the following measures immediately after the accident, though not necessarily in this order:
- Following an accident, you should go to a safe space if you are able to do so without further putting yourself or others in danger. Move to the side of the road and wait for the authorities or other witnesses at the scene to assist you.
- Do not leave the scene of the accident. You may face serious legal ramifications if you leave an accident scene prematurely before law enforcement or other first responders arrive, especially if a person was injured. This applies even if you believe you have good reason to leave the scene.
- Get the contact information of the person who hit you, even if you do not believe you were injured and did not suffer damage to your vehicle. This will be important in the event that you experience pain later on and you are diagnosed with a serious injury. The auto accident lawyer will have their information on file so they can build your case.
- Take pictures of the accident scene. You should take detailed photos from all angles, including the interior of all involved vehicles as well as the surrounding area. This includes debris and any property damage. If you are unable to do so, have someone else do it for you.
- Call the police and get a copy of the report. The report will have detailed information such as the number of vehicles involved as well as the cause of the accident.
- Take down the names of any witnesses. Having their contact information is helpful so that you can gain their statement and communicate with them if you need further details regarding the accident.
- Write down your account of what happened. It is important to write down an account of the accident shortly after it occurs. Your memory will be more fresh and you reduce the chance of muddying important details. The more time that passes after your accident, the more difficult it may be to remember specific facts. You want your account to be as accurate as possible in case another person’s account is different from your version of events.
- Gather all medical information that is relevant to your accident. You will need to prove that your injuries were related to the accident. Be sure that you have copies of medical treatment records and costs. Not only is this helpful for building your case, but without a medical record insurance companies may try to dismiss your claim and say that you were not really involved in an accident because you did not receive medical help immediately.
- If the insurance company of the at-fault party offers you a settlement, consider working with an auto accident lawyer in Houston, TX from John K. Zaid & Associates. You are not encouraged to take the first settlement offer that comes your way. It is important to hire a lawyer who can evaluate any settlement offer extended to you so that they can determine whether it’s fair and covers your damages. Insurance companies are simply not incentivized to offer you a reasonable offer. We can help ensure that you are not taken advantage of or accept an offer that is not in your best interest.
- Take pictures of the injuries you sustained. Document all injuries you sustained due to the accident. Take note of any changes such as discoloration or changes in pain intensity that you experience. In the days following your accident, there may be injuries that arise (such as nerve damage) that were not initially present.
- Make sure that you notify your insurance company of the accident and provide them with any details they require.
Covering Medical Costs in Car Accident CasesIn a motor vehicle accident case, coverage of your medical bills depends on where your accident took place (i.e. a “no fault” state or not), as an auto accident lawyer Houston, TX relies on can explain. No fault insurance or Personal Injury Protection (PIP) means the insurance company will pay some or all of your medical bills, regardless of who is at fault. In some “no fault” states, there is a limit to how much you car insurance company will pay. This limit differs from state to state, but is generally $10,000 or less. After your medical bills exceed this $10,000 limit, however, you are responsible for paying for them. If you have health insurance, Medicare, or a state run health insurance through Medicaid, those entities will pay your medical bills. If you do not have health insurance, Medicare, or Medicaid, then you are responsible for working out payment arrangements with your health care providers. If you get into a car accident in a state that does not offer no fault or PIP insurance, generally you are responsible for paying your medical bills, as an auto accident lawyer in Houston, TX can attest. However, some drivers in these states have medical payment insurance coverage (also known as “med pay”). “Med pay” coverage will pay the medical bills of drivers or passengers involved in a car accident with the insured, up to the insured’s “med pay” policy limits, which are generally less than $10,000. After your bills exceed the “med pay” policy limits, you will be responsible for paying them. “Med pay” coverage is not always required, so, if neither you, nor the person at fault, have “med pay” coverage, you are responsible for paying the bills. In the event of an accident that results in personal injury or monetary losses, it is helpful to hire a personal injury/car accident attorney. These attorneys can make the process very simple for you. An accident attorney –especially a personal injury attorney- can help you go up against big auto insurance companies and their lawyers. Your Houston auto accident lawyer already knows the personal injury laws and procedural rules and can effectively handle all the legwork for you. He or she will act as your advocate throughout the entire case. Since an insurance company’s lawyers have the knowledge to reduce compensation and even deny the claim altogether, hiring an accident attorney is the best option for people who:
- Have suffered severe injuries.
- Are faced with expensive medical bills.
- Have experienced a significant loss of wages due to their injuries.
- Severe injuries
- Generally, the severity is measured by the type of injury/injuries you’ve sustained, the length of time it takes for you to recover, and the cost of medical bills you’ve incurred
- Long-term or permanently disabling injuries
- Proving long-term and permanently disabling injuries can be tricky business, and your personal injury attorney probably will consult with each medical professional you’ve seen. He or she even might request the presence of your medical professionals during any legal proceedings.
- Disputed liability
- The company states that the policyholder is not at fault (or is at least claiming you don’t have enough proof of fault) and, therefore, the insurance company is not responsible for paying for your damages. An accident attorney will help you provide this proof and show that the other party was indeed at fault.
- Refusal to pay
- An insurance company outright won’t make a fair settlement offer—or any offer at all.
What Kind of Injuries Are Common After A Car Accident?A car accident can cause serious injuries, and if you’re filing a claim about your injuries and damages to your car, you should have an idea about the type of injuries that can occur. Traumatic brain injuries, or TBIs are caused by car accidents—among other things, but car accidents seem to be the leading cause of this injury. 50,000 people are estimated to die from traumatic brain injuries following a car accident, while 80,000 to 90,000 people are estimated to have lifelong disabilities after a traumatic brain injury. Spinal cord injuries that cause paralysis such as quadriplegia, tetraplegia and paraplegia are up next. Because you’re in a car, the impact of the crash and the torque in relation to the body can cause long-term disabilities due to spinal cord damage. You can have partial or total paralysis. Back injuries are another common injury, because the body and spine are not meant to handle heavy impact. Back injuries can be delayed in being diagnosed because the pain doesn’t always show up immediately after an accident. If your car catches on fire after a crash, you may sustain burns. Burns can be mild to severe; with the more severe burns requiring surgeries to graft skin and later reduce scarring. Typically burned skin, dependent upon the severity of the burn, remains tender for the rest of your life. Internal injuries happen when your body is forced into an object—so say you hit the steering wheel, you may have internal injuries in your chest that require surgery and monitoring by a physician. Broken bones or fractures, such as breaking an arm, ribs, legs, wrists are a common injury to experience during a car accident too. This is because a car is very small and human bodies are not meant for impact—much less the bones in the body. Knee injuries are common, because your knee may smash into any part of the car during an accident. You may find yourself with bruises, multiple fractures, or even tears in the meniscus or cartilage. This can require months of physical therapy to correct, as well as surgeries. Foot, ankle, wrist and hand injuries are another common injury that’s seen in auto accidents. This is because your limbs are hitting against the side of the car, the front of the car, or perhaps you had your arm or leg at an awkward angle. You may find yourself with strains, sprains, or fractures of these body parts. Last but not least, on the list of common injuries you may experience in a car accident: neck injuries or whiplash. Whiplash is a term used to describe the muscle, ligament, and tendon injuries that often happen after a car accident. This can also be used to describe more severe injuries such as disk injury or cervical dislocation. While this list isn’t a full list of potential injuries, it is some of the most common injuries. This is to better help you document your experience, your evidence, and find a lawyer that’s best suited for your case.
Compensation When Car Accident Injuries Limit Your Ability to WorkA Houston, TX auto accident lawyer understands that when you are injured in a car accident, your first thoughts naturally go to the health and safety of yourself and any passengers – especially any children present in the vehicle. If physically able to safely exit the vehicle, a secondary consideration is exchanging insurance information with the other driver(s) and communicating with law enforcement and emergency medical technicians on the scene. While it may not become apparent in the trauma of the moment, the most lasting and consequential damage suffered may be your very ability to work. This is a devastating outcome for people who depend on their physical wellbeing to earn a living. When a car accident changes your position in the world from one of strength to one of vulnerability in a split second, know that the law allows personal injury victims to seek compensation for not just medical bills, but also lost income due to missed work. This is when you will likely ask yourself, “Who is the best auto accident lawyer in Houston, TX?”
Types of Compensation Available to Car Accident Personal Injury VictimsWhile it is true that the world is becoming more automated (e.g. drones, self-driving cars, travel booking), many occupations still require traditional manual labor. Construction, athletics, landscaping, retail, and the service industries all require able-bodied individuals of good health and with ample energy to perform physical tasks. When a car accident causes injuries, whether temporary or permanent, to a manual laborer, he or she may no longer able to move or lift objects. This outcome is especially detrimental to non-salaried individuals – workers who earn income dollar-by-dollar, hour-by-hour. Fortunately, Texas law allows for car accident injury victims to seek compensation for lost income due to missed work from the individual and/or business responsible for the injury-causing accident. This compensation is in addition to the monetary damages awarded to cover the cost of medical bills, pain and suffering, and consequences flowing from any short- or long-term disabilities resulting from the accident. A Houston, TX auto accident lawyer can evaluate your case and determine what the monetary and nonmonetary losses you suffered are.
Regaining One’s Financial Footing Following a Car AccidentMost car accidents are the result of negligence, rather than intentionally wrongful conduct. Negligence is the breach of a duty owed that causes damages. When a breach of the duty of safe driving by an individual (e.g. drunk driving) or an employee working for a business (e.g. driving at an excessive speed) causes you to become injured in a car accident, rely on an car accident attorney to fight for lost income due to missed work and all other compensation you are entitled to.
When Is a Lawyers Advice Critical to Your Settlement?Following a car accident, you may find yourself debating whether you need the help of an auto accident lawyer in Houston TX. It may be clear that you deserve compensation, but you need to keep in mind that others may have a different perception of what happened. Likewise, the other driver or the insurance company has an interest in giving you as little money as possible. There are several reasons you shouldn’t have to debate hiring a lawyer to ensure your compensation.
You Suffered Serious InjuriesThe last thing you want to do after suffering serious injuries is to deal with insurance companies or to handle a car accident claim on your own. Car accident lawyers can help you estimate the compensation you deserve. Not only can you demand payment for medical bills, but you may be able to ask for compensation for pain and suffering. A lawyer will help you determine the fair cost.
You Know Little About InsuranceIf you are like most people, you may not know everything there is to know about insurance. You know how to purchase it and you know it’s essential to have insurance, but you may not understand how insurance companies function. Not only can a lawyer contact your insurance company and negotiate a settlement, but the lawyer knows the ins and outs of how insurance companies operate following an accident. He or she can advise you on how to handle the insurance adjuster in a way that does not compromise your case.
You Do Not Have Free TimeMost people do not have the time to pursue a claim independently. When you hire a personal injury lawyer, it is his or her job to help with the case. Lawyers have the knowledge and experience necessary to work on the case. Most people have limited legal knowledge. If you want to represent yourself, you may have to educate yourself on the law, handle negotiations and make sure that you stay on top of the deadlines. If you were injured in the accident, you have to squeeze all of these obligations between hospital visits and recovery. When you hire a lawyer, you can rest and focus on what matters the most. Not everyone has the time, experience or knowledge to handle a car accident claim. Instead of spreading yourself too thin, set up a consultation with an auto accident lawyer in Houston TX.
Frequently Asked Questions About Auto Accident LawyersIf you have recently been involved in an automobile accident, there are certain steps you should take to try to get the compensation and/or financial protection you deserve. In addition to getting the medical care you need and making sure an accident report is made, you may also want to contact an auto accident lawyer in Houston TX. John K. Zaid & Associates can review your case and let you know what course of action we recommend. Here are some of the most frequently asked questions about auto accident lawyers.
When Should I Contact an Auto Accident Lawyer?It is important to contact an auto accident lawyer in Houston TX as soon as possible after a car accident. Promptly contacting a lawyer can help you increase your likelihood of submitting a successful automobile accident claim. If you wait too long to contact a lawyer, you may no longer get the compensation you would otherwise be entitled to receive from the party responsible for the accident.
How Can I Locate a Good Vehicle Accident Lawyer?When looking for an auto accident lawyer in Houston TX, it’s important to read online reviews and check with others to make sure you’re hiring a lawyer with a good reputation. Here at John K. Zaid & Associates, we have a solid reputation for providing reliable and dedicated services for every client we represent.
How Can an Auto Accident Lawyer Help Me?When you promptly contact an auto accident lawyer in Houston TX, you can significantly increase your opportunity of experiencing a successful car accident case outcome. A good car accident lawyer can help you collect the evidence that implicates the at-fault driver (such as witness statements and video footage). This evidence may help you win your case in court and receive compensation. A car accident attorney can also let you know if you have a good case or if you are unlikely to win in court. If there is any question about whether you can prove the other driver is responsible beyond a reasonable doubt, a good attorney can let you know whether or not it is wise to pursue the case.
What Is the Statute of Limitations for Auto Accidents?Different states have different time limits regarding when you can file an auto accident lawsuit in civil court. In Texas, the car accident lawsuit statute of limitations is two years if you’re filing over vehicle damage. There may be exceptions to this statute of limitations, so be sure to talk to us here at John K. Zaid & Associates if you have any questions about whether or not you qualify to file outside of the normal time limits.
Have You Been Injured? Call a Houston Auto Accident Lawyer for HelpIf you have been injured in a car accident, you are likely trying to deal with the pain and recovery from those injuries. You may also be overwhelmed with the financial stress of being unable to work. If you are asking yourself who the best auto accident lawyer in Houston, TX is, contact John K. Zaid & Associates to help you get the financial compensation you deserve for your injuries. If you have suffered loss of income and benefits while you recover, we will work diligently to recover the amount of wages you lost. It’s important for injured victims of auto accidents to get compensation from those who have hurt them, and seeking the legal representation of experienced Houston, Texas auto accident lawyers is the first step towards securing that compensation. Though you can file an injury claim with the negligent party’s insurance company, quite often the settlements initially offered by these companies are not sufficient. Unfortunately, insurance carriers are notorious for low balling victims out of their rightful compensation. They may also use delaying tactics to make victims wait far longer than a reasonable time period following the car accident. Meanwhile, the victims’ medical bills pile up and they may be unable to work. This isn’t fair, and our Houston, TX auto accident lawyers works hard to right those wrongs. Determining Damages In the immediate wake of a car accident, it can be especially challenging if not impossible to determine the full extent of one’s damages. If you sustained a serious injury because of a negligent driver, the Houston, TX auto accident lawyers at John K. Zaid & Associates can work with you to determine the amount of damages for which you should be compensated. Our Houston, TX auto accident lawyers are very familiar with most types of injuries associated with vehicle accidents. This includes average recovery time, typical treatment methods, and medical costs. There are many other types of damages that an experienced lawyer from our firm can identify that you may not think of, including the following:
- Lost revenue for the length of time you are unable to work, including bonuses, accrued vacation time, and other benefits you would have otherwise earned.
- Transportation costs to the emergency room, to and from the doctor’s office for follow up visits, to and from physical and occupational therapy appointments, etc.
- Your pain and suffering as a result of your injuries and/or the experience of being in an otherwise avoidable car accident but for the negligence of the other driver.
- Future medical treatment costs, including surgeries, aftercare, medical equipment, etc.