Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer Houston, TX
Protecting the Elderly from Nursing Home Abuse Enlist the Help of a Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer Houston, TX Families Trust
Abuse and neglect are two words that many people do not want to consider, especially when it comes to their elderly parents whom they have placed in a nursing home. It can be shocking to hear that abuse in nursing homes is all too common. Unfortunately for some, the trauma from abuse can leave a lasting impact on a person for a number of years. When the emotional impact is coupled with physical injuries, the results can be devastating. If you or someone you love has suffered from abuse and neglect in a nursing home, it may make sense to contact a nursing home abuse lawyer in Houston, TX from John K. Zaid & Associates. We can file a personal injury claim on your family’s behalf against the nursing home. Call us for a free case review with one of our attorneys.
Why Many Families Choose Nursing Homes for Their Elders
Whether or not to place your aging loved one in an assisted living community or nursing home is a decision that should be carefully contemplated. Taking this step can be an emotional decision for all involved. Every nursing home abuse lawyer in Houston, TX from John K. Zaid & Associates understands that there are a number of reasons for a family to choose a nursing home for their parent:
- Their health and medical needs have advanced beyond what you are able to manage alone. For instance, your loved one may be suffering from ailments that require constant medical care.
- It may no longer be safe for a person to live on their own because they cannot take care of themselves. This is especially the case for those suffering from dementia, depression, or a type of chronic disease
- Nursing homes can be more cost-effective than taking care of an elderly family member in one’s own home.
Signs of Nursing Home Abuse
You will want to make every attempt to ensure that your loved one is not being harmed when they are placed in a nursing home. In some situations, no matter how many precautions you take, abuse may be something that you cannot prevent. It is not uncommon for an abuse victim to keep the abuse a secret. They may feel ashamed and fearful. They may also be scared of the repercussions if they report the abuse to you. Because of these reasons, you cannot rely solely on your loved one to report abuse. It will be important that you are visiting frequently and know the common signs that nursing home abuse is occurring. Here are some tips for spotting abuse or neglect:
- There will be more obvious signs of physical abuse that include:
- Unexplained broken bones.
- Bruises or lacerations on a person’s body.
- Marks on their wrists from being restrained or grabbed.
- Living conditions that are dirty or unsafe.
- Venereal disease or infections, bruising, etc.
- If the caregiver will not leave you alone with your loved one, it may be a sign that they do not want the elderly person to disclose anything to you.
- Bedsores are a serious symptom of neglect as it means that the patient was left in bed for a period of time without being turned.
Although the details of abuse can be disturbing, it is important to be able to recognize the signs. If you notice any of these signs, report them to a nursing home abuse lawyer in Houston, TX from John K. Zaid & Associates.
Contact a Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer Houston, TX Offers
If you or a loved one has been abused and/or neglected in a nursing home, give us a call. We have experience handling cases that are of a sensitive nature. Let us protect the rights of your loved one by filing a personal injury claim against the facility or caregiver who inflicted pain upon your loved one. If you suspect your loved one is being abused or neglected, request a free consultation with a nursing home abuse lawyer in Houston, TX from John K. Zaid & Associates.