Car Accident Lawyer Houston, TX
At John K. Zaid & Associates, we understand that being involved in any kind of car accident can be traumatic and life-changing. A number of injuries could arise including those that are mild to moderate, severe, life-threatening, or fatal. Mounting medical bills might provoke enormous amounts of stress which eventually slow down your recovery. Being told you are unable to work, while at the same time, losing out on precious time with your family because of chronic pain can add to an already difficult situation. Couple in the fact that your accident may not have been your fault, and you might feel angry and confused.
Would it comfort you in knowing that when negligence is a factor in car accidents, you may be able to recover monetary compensation for all of these losses (and more)? If you have suffered harm from an auto collision, and believe negligence was the cause, you should consult a Houston, TX car accident lawyer to learn about your legal rights and options.
Steps You Should Take After a Car Accident
Following a Houston, TX car accident, seeking the expertise of a car accident lawyer should be one of the first steps you choose to take. As you prepare for a free and confidential consultation with John K. Zaid & Associates, you might also want to consider the following steps:
1. Get Medical Attention: Regardless of how mild the pain might be, or even when you feel no pain, medical treatment should be sought. How a doctor diagnosis’s you will have a critical role in the outcome of your claim.
2. Tell Your Insurance Company: Most likely under the policy agreement you signed, you will need to let your insurance company know about the accident. Only basic facts should be given, and you should avoid claiming any portion of fault. If a settlement is offered immediately, it may be in your best interest to politely decline.
3. Get a Copy of the Police Report: A police report is a valuable piece of evidence and provides details about the incident which can help your car accident lawyer to build a case. You can visit the police station for a copy or may be able to order one online.
4. Keep Your Bills, Records, and Evidence: It is essential that you keep any bills, invoices, receipts, and any other expenses related to your accident. Photos, video imagery, witness contact information, or other potential pieces of evidence should be gathered and handed over to a lawyer.
5. Write Down What Happened: As soon as possible, take some time to write down everything you can recall.
6. Avoid Posting Details on Social Media: A car accident lawyer would recommend you to avoid making any posts on social media about the accident. Anything you say could be used by the insurance company or the defense.
Get Legal Assistance from John K. Zaid & Associates
As soon as you are ready and able to, you should consult a car accident lawyer. Generally speaking, there are strict statute of limitations for filing a personal injury claim. If the accident happened on the job, filing for workers compensation will also require you to meet specific deadlines. Insurance companies will begin their investigation within two to three days of the accident. Letting them get too far ahead is not advisable.