Best Hit and Run Accident Lawyer Houston, TX
If you’re the victim of a hit and run accident, you should talk to the best hit and run accident lawyer Houston, TX residents trust. What happened to you was unjust and you deserve to be compensated for that. Your lawyer can help you file a timely lawsuit and ensure your legal rights are protected.
Reasons Drivers Leave the Scene of a Car Accident
Although leaving the scene of a car accident is illegal, some drivers still choose to flee. Here are some of the most common reasons drivers leave the scene of an accident:
- Drunk Driving: Sometimes drivers leave the scene of a car accident because they’re too drunk to realize they even caused an accident. They could also be afraid that they’ll get charged with a DUI.
- Panic: In some situations, drivers panic that they caused an accident and just flee the scene. They may be afraid of the consequences they will face and get away from the area as soon as possible.
- No Insurance: As the best hit and run accident lawyer in Houston, TX can confirm, some drivers flee the scene of a car accident because they don’t have auto insurance. It’s against the law to drive without insurance, and they don’t want to face criminal charges for it.
- Outstanding Warrants: Drivers who know they have outstanding warrants may flee the scene of an accident to avoid getting arrested. The police officer who comes to the scene of the accident runs everyone’s driver’s license information and will find out who has warrants.
What to Do After a Hit and Run Accident
Being involved in a hit and run accident is shocking and scary. However, the steps you take immediately afterward will have a big impact on the amount of the compensation you receive.
- Call the Police: To hold the fleeing driver accountable for his or her actions, contact the police immediately. They will come to the scene of the accident and ask you questions about what happened. Tell them everything you remember about the vehicle that fled, including the color, make, model and license plate number. The more information the police have, the more likely they will catch the driver.
- Seek Medical Care: You might feel fine after the accident, but you should still see a doctor as soon as possible. Not all injuries show symptoms right away and you don’t want to put your health at risk.
- Hire a Lawyer: Car accident lawsuits can be very complex, so you want someone knowledgeable and experienced on your side. Your lawyer will help you fill out the paperwork, gather evidence, speak to witnesses and negotiate with the insurance company. If you’re wondering who is the best auto accident lawyer in Houston, TX, ask your family and friends for recommendations.
Contact the best hit and run accident lawyer in Houston, TX today.
When the driver of a car fails to stop after being involved in an accident, he or she may be accused of a hit and run. This action, or lack of, could be considered a crime; thus, a misdemeanor or felony charge might result. As the victim of a hit and run, you might feel unsure about how you can recover your damages. As one of the best hit and run accident attorneys in Houston, Texas, we may be able to help you get the money you need to cover your medical care, property damage, and other losses.
Steps to Take After a Hit and Run Accident
Following a hit and run accident, you might feel concerned about how you will recover compensation. The following are some tips to help you:
Write Down Information – If you are able to recall any information about what happened, you should write it down as quickly as possible. For example, the details of the car, it’s make, color, which way it was going, a full or partial license plate number, and so forth. If you have dash cam footage, be sure this footage is saved and even uploaded to the Cloud.
Call the Police – As the best hit and run accident attorney Houston, TX has to offer (or at least one of them), we would recommend calling the police. They can come to the scene, take your details, and file a police report. Police may then carry out their own investigation, which includes searching for the fleeing driver.
Talk with Witnesses – In the event of other witnesses being present, take a moment to get their contact details and any information they can recall.
Document Your Injuries and Property Damage – As long as you are physically able to do so, take photos of the scene, your car, and the surroundings. You should also document your injuries with photos and a journal that describes your pain.
Get Medical Care – It is certainly possible that you are reading this in the hospital, or after being sent home; therefore, were unable to take the above steps. This is okay. Medical care should be a priority regardless of what your injuries or pain levels are. It is certainly possible that you suffered a silent injury like a concussion, whiplash, or internal bleeding. Whether you feel like you are okay, or are very injured, it is prudent you get medical care.
Retain a Lawyer – When it comes to a hit and run, you should have a lawyer on your side. You might ask yourself “Who is the best auto accident lawyer Houston, TX has to offer?”, and in this case, we would have to say John K. Zaid & Associates is one of them.
For a consultation with what we believe to be the best hit and run accident attorney Houston, TX prefers, call John K. Zaid & Associates.